My name is Chen Qu. I am a Software Engineer at Google. Before joining Google, I was a PhD student advised by Prof. W. Bruce Croft at the Center for Intelligent Information Retrieval (CIIR), College of Information and Computer Sciences, University of Massachusetts Amherst. I focus on conversational search, Information Retrieval, and Natural Language Processing.
I will no longer have access to my cs.umass.edu email address after graduation. Use the email on the left instead.
- UMass Amherst, MS/PhD from Center for Intelligent Information Retrieval (CIIR). Advisor: Prof. W. Bruce Croft. Amherst, MA, US, Sep. 2017 - May 2021.
- Dalian University of Technology, B.E. in Computer Science and Technology. Dalian, China, Sep. 2013 - Jun. 2017.
- Google, Software Engineer. Working on projects related to natural language processing, content understanding, machine learning, and deep learning. Mountain View, CA, US, Jul. 2021 - Present.
- Google, Research Intern working on natural language understanding. Mentors and managers: Weize Kong, Liu Yang, Mingyang Zhang, and Michael Bendersky. Mountain View, CA, US, May 2020 - Sep. 2020.
- Microsoft Research, Research Intern at Information and Data Sciences group. Mentors and managers: Chenyan Xiong and Paul Bennett. Redmond, WA, US, May 2019 - Aug. 2019.
- Alibaba Group, Research Intern at AliMe X-Lab. Mentors and managers: Feng Ji, Minghui Qiu, and Haiqing Chen. Hangzhou, China, May 2018 - Aug. 2018.
- Tencent, Software Engineer Intern (Backend). Shenzhen, China, Jul 2016 - Aug. 2016.
- Dissertation Writing Fellowship, Spring 2021.
- Outstanding Synthesis Project Award.
- PhD Candidacy with Distinction. 2020.
- W. Bruce Croft Graduate Scholarship in Computer Science 2019.
- SIGIR Student Travel Grant: SIGIR 2020, CIKM 2019, CHIIR 2019, SIGIR 2018.
- Conference PC Member and Reviewer: SIGIR, CIKM, ECIR, ICTIR, KDD, ACL, EMNLP, NAACL, AAAI, CCL
- Journal Reviewer: ACM Transactions on Information Systems (TOIS), ACM Transactions on Privacy and Security (TOPS), Information Retrieval Journal
- ACM SIGIR Artifact Evaluation Committee (AEC)
- I was the Teaching Assistant for CS646 Information Retrieval (Fall 2020), a graduate-level course, at UMass Amherst.